Are you travelling with Lufthansa? You should familiarize yourself with their new baggage allowances and fees so you know how much luggage you can bring with you plus their carry-on policy.
Lufthansa Checked/Hold Baggage Allowance
The amount of hold baggage you are allowed is based on the type of ticket you have purchased.
For international flights:
- Economy Class: You are allowed 1 bag no more than 23 kg each.
- Economy Classic and Economy Flex: You are allowed 2 bags no more than 23 kg each.
- Business Class: You are allowed 2 bags no more than 32 kg each.
- First Class: You are allowed 3 bags no more than 32 kg each.
For domestic European flights:
- Economy Class: you are allowed 1 piece of carry on luggage up to 8 kg. Any checked bags will be subject to an additional fee.
- Economy Classic and Economy Flex: you are allowed 1 piece of carry on baggage up to 8 kg and 1 piece of checked baggage up to 23 kg.
- Business Class: You are allowed 2 pieces of carry on baggage up to 8 kg each and up to 2 pieces of checked baggage up to 32 kg each.
- For any carry on bags you are limited to size dimensions of 55 x 40 x 23 cm except for foldable garment bags which are limited to 57 x 54 x 15 cm.
Send Your Luggage
You can avoid Lufthansa baggage restrictions by sending your luggage directly to your destination with our door to door luggage services. Avoid the hassle of having to haul heavy suitcases through the airport, through security, and to your hotel room. At Luggage Delivery Company we offer a great and easy to use alternative to sending your luggage with the airline with a multitude of advantages including having your luggage delivered directly to and from your destination at a fixed price.
Lufthansa Cabin Allowance for Infants
If you have a child under the age of 2 you are allowed to bring one piece of extra luggage unless you have an economy light fare. This refers to checked baggage no larger than 23 kg or 158cm.
The airline provides food for children and special bassinets that you can reserve up to 52 hours before your flight.
Lufthansa Prohibited items
Lufthansa has forbidden items for any hand luggage including camping stoves, hoverboards are Segways that use large lithium power batteries, any corrosive substances like liquid bleach or acid, firearms, knives, and firecrackers
Luggage Delivery Company your Lufthansa Baggage Alternative
A luggage delivery company is a viable alternative to using Lufthansa. Lufthansa includes a multitude of fees for every type of bag you want to bring in addition to doubling those fees when something is outside of the permitted dimensions or larger than the permitted weight. You won’t have to worry about fluctuating fees when you check-in at the counter if you use a luggage delivery company. What’s more, a luggage delivery company alleviates any need to waste precious vacation time waiting around at the carousel for your bags.
Lufthansa Baggage Overweight Fees
The baggage overweight fees for Lufthansa are based on the type of flight you have.
- Any flight within Europe is subject to an additional €50
- Flights that are medium international are subject to €120
- Oversized or overweight bags will be charged €100 for flights within Europe
- Oversized or overweight bags will be charged €240 for medium international flights
Additional bags beyond what is allowed with your ticket will be charged €80 for flights within Europe and $200 for medium international flights.
If you have additional bags AND they are overweight or oversized, Lufthansa will charge you both the extra fee and the oversized or overweight fee.
You can, however, avoid all of these extra fees by using a luggage delivery company knowing that you will be charged the same flat rate ahead of time to have your luggage picked up from your doorstep and delivered directly to your hotel and Back Again.
Lufthansa Excess Baggage Allowance for Sports Equipment
If you are shipping sporting equipment, this falls under the special baggage or bulky baggage restrictions. You have to register any sports baggage 24 hours before your departure with Lufthansa’s service centre.
Any bags that fall under the restrictions for a piece of checked luggage will be charged based on the type of flight you have:
- Routes in the EU are €80
- Flights in North Africa, the Middle East coast, and Central Asia are €100
- Short, intercontinental flights are €150
- Medium, intercontinental flights are €200
- Long, intercontinental flights are €250
Be aware that any baggage you have that exceeds 32 kg or is larger than the dimensions will be charged as cargo transport.
Lufthansa Carry-On Baggage Allowance and Musical Instruments
Musical instruments can be brought as carry-on luggage if they fit within the carry-on limits. Anything that does not fit in the overhead bins or under the seat will be charged as checked baggage. For musical instruments, larger instruments fall under the special baggage or bulky baggage restrictions.
Note: If your musical instrument weighs more than 32 kg, you have to get approval from Lufthansa and register your instrument with the service centre before your flight.
The extra prices for musical instruments as part of your checked baggage allowance is based on the type of flight:
- For flights within Europe or from Europe to third world countries, you will be charged an extra €200
- For intercontinental flights, you will be charged €300